Please send e-mails and letters to all members of the Edmonton City Council below, asking them to support the immediate release of Lucy to either The Elephant Sanctuary or PAWS. Even a single-sentence message like: “Send Lucy to The Elephant Sanctuary” can have an impact.
Consider the following points when writing your letters on behalf of Lucy working at the Edmonton Valley Zoo:
- She has an inhumane amount of space (less than 1 acre), whereas she would have between 300 and 2200 acres at either The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee or PAWS in California.
- She is often locked up in a small barn stall 16 – 17 hours a day for 7 months of the year due to temperatures and wetness. At The Elephant Sanctuary or PAWS, she would have 24-hour outdoor access all year long.
- Many elephants with symptoms similar to Lucy have thrived when moved to a sanctuary – with other elephants to socialize with and hundreds of acres of varying terrain, fresh foliage, and water features.
- The Edmonton Valley Zoo is managed by the City of Edmonton and overseen by the Community Services Department.
- Anything else that is important to you about Lucy!
Mayor Stephen Mandel, Councillor Karen Leibovici, Councillor Linda Sloan, Councillor Kim Krushnell, Councillor Ed Gibbons, Councillor Tony Caterina, Councillor Jane Batty, Councillor Ben Henderson, Councillor Bryan Anderson, Councillor Dave Loken, and Councillor Kerry Diotte
Or, write to each of the above council members at the following address:
[Name of Mayor Mandel or Council member]
City of Edmonton
1 Sir Winston Churchill Square
Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA T5J 2R7